Saturday, September 30, 2017

Family Trippin' to the Georgia Mountains and Gorges - Part 2

Day 3 (continued) - When we arrived at Stone Mountain in Georgia we decided to explore the park for the afternoon. Hello deer! Our first stop was the Covered Bridge and Aubree and I got this up close footage of a mama deer and her fawns.


Soon after meeting Bambi we met up with my sister and her family and explored and hiked a small area before making the big trek up Stone Mountain. It was much harder hiking up the mountain than I remember it being in high school! It made me feel better that my daughter also found it to be slightly difficult in a few spots, but the views at the top, ice cream and the sky ride back down made it all worth it. Side note: I don't know who Calvin is in the video below - haha!

Celebrating at the top of Stone Mountain

My beautiful daughter and niece enjoying the views


Aubree and Uncle Justin set up their ENOs and we all ate dinner, relaxed, shopped and played on the lawn.



Ended the night with the big laser light show - 3D Mountain Vision did not exist back in the day - so I was impressed! I can't say that my kids were as impressed, but all in all everyone had an active and fun day! Drove about 30 minutes north to our Airbnb. 


Day 4 - Left our Airbnb and ate breakfast at the Waffle House n Cornelia, Georgia. I think that was a first for me. It was just about what you would imagine it would be in, "Who knows where in the heck we are Georgia?" I enjoyed my waffle and that's all I will say about that adventure because much bigger adventures were ahead for Day 4.

Eventually, we met up with the Cobournes again, this time at Tallulah Gorge State Park! This is where we signed waivers saying that we agreed to possible death while climbing up an 800 foot mountain. I'm sure for skilled hikers this isn't a big deal. But, when your foot slips and your shoe gets wet, these rocks become slippery. After walking down a gazillion stairs and across a suspension bridge there's this....
This is where I experienced my first anxiety attack. Not really. But, my new Native American nickname is Slips on Rock.
But, the victory photo is totally worth the journey across the rocks.


This was the sliding rock, the goal of hiking into the gorge. We all took a turn sliding down the smooth rock and my son was very excited to use his new GoPro.


Franz Fam and Cobourne Clan
From slippery rocks to the Sliding Rock; the exhausting and long hike was worth it. The climb back up was not a gratifying experience for me in the slightest. I'm not even proud to say I made it up to the top. But, for the record, I made it to the top with the help of my husband, Rich. I mean look at all the warning signs at the top? Why did we have to take that trail back up? I'll never understand my crazy family or why I was sore for about 2 full days after the hike.
Warning! Warning! Warning!

After the Tallulah Gorge experience we went to Goats on the Roof in Tiger, Georgia. This little roadside novelty is famous for its goats but also for its nitro ice cream. The video explains how they make it. And the goats? Well, they were everywhere: waiting for food on the roof, behind the building, and walking over the bridge. A bicycle pulley contraption allows children to pedal an ice cream cone of goat food up to the goats on the roof for them to devour.



Real goat head to the left of sign
Traveled on to our final destination where we met my parents. The gorging continued as we enjoyed a big southern style dinner at The Dillard House Inn, took selfies with the petting zoo animals on the property and crashed for the evening.

Day 5 - Woke up bright and early and headed to Highlands, NC (only a short drive away) for a zip-line experience like no other... stay tuned for the grand finale, Part 3!

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure thankful we all had fun on our family vacation and everyone returned home safely! The view coming down Stone Mountain looked awesome!

    ReplyDelete